Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sapa (Ron)

After the two posts my Jeff and Heidi I tried to think about an event here that had a similar bearing on my humanity and I can honestly say I have not had that experience (thankfully). My experience here is that Vietnam is a very peaceful country with wonderful people. The closest I had was a political discussion about a progressive citizen who was imprisoned for speaking out against corruption of the current government. It was not even a debate as my co-worker was agreeing with me that this man's imprisonment was improper.


On a more happier note, I have found one of my favorite places on this earth. Sapa, Vietnam. Sapa is a little town northwest of hanoi in the nothern mountains of vietnam that is surrounded by ethnic minorities who live their very traditional lives in small villages scattered amongst the rice paddies.

I booked a tour with handspan tours which was the best investment for this trip. The guide we had was wonderful. He grew up in Sapa so he was very knowledgeable of the area and the people. The hotel was simply amazing. Here is the view we had.


The group of people I had most contact with were called Black Hmong. Others in the region are Red Dau, Day, Tay, Flower Hmong, and Lu. At times it's very difficult to tell the difference as an outsider but each group has slightly distinctive clothing.

Here is a Black Hmong mother and her baby. They hike EVERYWHERE so all young children are carried on their back.


This is Cat Cat Village (Black Hmong). As you can see the village consists of small houses usually in a valley scattered around rice paddies.

This is from the second day hike to Lau Chai village. As you can see from the pictures it rained. In fact it rained the entire time I was in Sapa and I still left feeling like it was one of the most magical places I have ever been to.

One of the main reasons why I felt Sapa to be so wonderful is the people I met there. Everyone is trying to sell you something as the town and surrounding area is a tourist attraction. It is a mixture of hilarity and anger as you continually say "no" to someone who continues to ask "you buy from me?"

But the younger children speak very good English and are eager to practice. They are very outgoing and sometimes just want to get to know you. Here is a picture of a couple girls my group and I spent time talking to.

These two girls were hilarious when together. Just simply amazing people.

If anyone travels to nothern Vietnam you absolutely must take a trip to Sapa. The small town is beautiful in itself, hiking along the villages is a great way to spend the day, and the people are utteraly unforgettable.

Highlight of my trip so far.

1 comment:

  1. Oh thank god someone did a non-depressing post. I thought I was going to have to do an emergency baby-animal post.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete